The Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine (DIFM), a practice group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, consists of 4000+ Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs), Dietetic Technicians, Registered (DTRs), and dietetic students and interns who practice in, or have specific interest in a personalized approach to nutrition, health, and healing. The DIFM philosophy centers around a holistic “Food as Medicine” approach to wellness and is based firmly on the Integrative Medicine model. Whole-food therapies, targeted supplements, and mind-body modalities form the basis of “Integrative and Functional Medical Nutrition Therapy” (IFMNT). Integrative Nutrition RDNs apply this model to the nutrition care process in clinical practice and are instrumental in reshaping healthcare.
Optimize health and healing with integrative and functional nutrition
Empower members to be leaders in integrative and functional nutrition
- Be recognized leaders in integrative and functional nutrition
- Increase DIFM membership, and retain members by providing significant value
- Cultivate relationships with collaborators
- Educate in integrative and functional nutrition
- Conduct a program of work in a professional manner within the strategic framework of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Establish networks with organizations whose goals are compatible with those of DIFM in order to further our mission
- Develop and implement technology and communication plans to help achieve the goals of DIFM
- Invest proceeds of projects in furthering the development of DIFM, its members, and the profession
All registered dietitians are nutritionists – but not all nutritionists are registered dietitians. The Academy's Board of Directors and Commission on Dietetic Registration have determined that those who hold the credential registered dietitian (RD) may optionally use "registered dietitian nutritionist" (RDN) instead. The two credentials have identical meanings.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is the world's largest organization of food and nutrition professionals. The Academy is committed to improving the nation's health and advancing the profession of dietetics through research, education, and advocacy. Visit the Academy at www.eatright.org.